RV solar panels are the ultimate symbol of freedom. An RV invites you to travel off-grid, live anywhere, and constantly experience new things. Previously, you might have been hindered by the fact that you’d have to recharge the vehicle’s batteries at a campground or RV park with access to shore power. Today, you can become energy independent by investing in RV solar panels. You’ll enjoy more freedom and protect the environment you love at the same time.
The Best RV Solar Kits for Trailers in 2019
Similar to DIY solar panel kits, solar panels for RVs are a fantastic way to try solar energy for the first time and begin your own journey towards a more sustainable lifestyle. In the following article, we’ve put together reviews for the best RV solar kits out there, which we’ve graded in terms of quality, ease-of-use, and cost.
Windy Nation 100W RV Solar Kit
This kit by Windy Nation features at the top of our list of best solar panels for RVs due to a combination of excellent quality and convenient price. It’s not the most famous kit on the market, but it gets the job done well and it doesn’t cost a fortune to purchase or install.
The set includes everything you need to go solar with your RV. It comes with a 100Watt monocrystalline solar panel, a 30A P30L charge controller with an LCD display and battery temperature sensor, 40ft of AWG cable, MC4 connectors, and all the installation hardware you’ll need to mount the panel on your RV.
On average, the solar panel will provide 350Wh or 33Ah of charge each day, depending on the amount of sunlight it is exposed to. If needed, you can connect up to 3 additional solar panels to the same charge controller for faster charging times.
- Quality components built for durability
- Attractive price for the complete kit
- Easily installed on RVs, cabins, boats, and more
- Can be extended with additional solar panels for faster charging times
- Not the most powerful solar panels on the market
- Will not charge a decent size battery in a single day unless more solar panels are added
Featuring some of the best solar panels for RVs currently on the market, this RV kit by Renogy is our top pick for quality and high wattage. It can be purchased with one to four solar panels, but we recommend two for an optimal ratio of charging time to cost.
The set is ideal for people who are new to solar energy because it is easy to install and includes all the components you need to get started. With the two 100W 12V monocrystalline solar panels, you’ll receive a 30A PWM charge controller, a 30ft 10AWG MC4 adaptor kit, 16ft of 10AWG tray cable, one weather-proofed cable entry housing, as well as Z-brackets for mounting the panels.
Each of the solar panels comes with an in-built bypass diode that ensures power drops from shade or poor weather are minimal. The panels are enclosed in aluminum frames that resist corrosion and are therefore able to withstand snow loads and high winds.
- Excellent quality for durable components
- The complete kit includes everything you need to install and use the solar panels
- Can support up to four solar panels for a total PV input of 400W
- Weather-proofed for extended outdoor use
- More expensive than other options
AcoPower UV11007GD 100W Foldable Solar Panel Kit
The AcoPower UV11007GD consists of two 50W high efficiency monocrystalline solar panels that can be folded together, as well as an in-built 10A charge controller pre-wired for 12V battery charging.
The kit comes with a folding suitcase for ease-of-transportation, 2 pairs of MC4 connectors, 1 pair of Anderson connectors, as well as one pair of Alligator clips. With these accessories, you can use the AcoPower solar panel to charge portable solar generators and batteries, but also 12V car batteries and marine batteries (flooded, sealed, or GEL).
The solar panels are easy to carry and can be installed in less than one minute. They are ideal for extended outdoor use thanks to their corner protectors, corrosion-resistant aluminum frame and diode junction box.
- Highly effective solar panels, at 15.4% conversion efficiency
- Can be folded into a suitcase that is easy to store and transport
- Can be used to charge solar batteries and generators, car batteries, and marine batteries
- Durable and weather-proofed
- Not the most powerful solar panels on the market
- Installation manual can be vague
Renogy 100W Flexible Solar Panel
Although this solar panel by Renogy does not come in a complete kit, we mention it in our top best solar panels for RVs due to its extraordinary flexibility and versatility. Unlike other solar panels, this model can be mounted on a curved roof, which greatly extends its applicability.
Renogy’s flexible solar panel features a standard PV input of 100W, but it is ultra-lightweight and therefore very easy to carry and install. When laid flat on its surface, it is only a tenth of an inch tall, which is no less than 95% thinner than standard solar panels. Its lamination is barely noticeable.
In spite of its shape, however, this 100W monocrystalline solar panel by Renogy is built to withstand severe weather, including harsh winds and heavy snow loads. Thanks to its extreme flexibility, you can use it to power up appliances while camping, travelling in your RV, sailing a yacht, and much more.
- Flexible 100W monocrystalline solar panel that can be installed on curved surfaces
- Ultra-lightweight and easy to carry
- 95% Thinner than standard solar panels
- Not sold in a kit
- The edges are quite sharp, so it must be handled with care
HQST 100W Slim Solar Panel Kit
Also one of the best RV solar kits on the market, this set by HQST is a more affordable alternative to products by Renogy or other well-known manufacturers. It is designed as a starter kit for those who are new to solar energy and, as such, it is super easy to install and use.
The kit includes one slim 100W monocrystalline solar panel, a 30A PWM charge controller with LCD display, a pair of 12ft AWG adaptor cables, as well as Z-brackets and other installation hardware. On the panel, you’ll find pre-drilled holes that make it even easier to mount on any roof.
According to the producer, this kit will provide an average of 500Wh of charge per day and will be able to recharge a 50Ah battery from 50% during one day. For additional charging speed, you can add up to 3 other identical panels for a total PV input of 400W.
- Very attractive cost to quality ratio
- Complete kit with solar panel, charge controller, and installation hardware
- Can be extended with additional solar panels
- Heavier than other models