The best solar battery testers can tell you how much juice is left in an accumulator, but also whether the latter is too worn out to maintain. In the case of EVs and especially during the winter, it’s essential to ensure that the car battery is still healthy before fastening your seatbelt for a long drive.
Whether you own an electric vehicle, a residential solar power system, or any appliance that runs on solar electricity, keeping tabs on the health of your rechargeable batteries is a must. Over the years, knowing whether your batteries need maintenance or replacement can save you thousands of dollars, which is where a solar battery tester comes in.
What Are the Best Solar Battery Testers in 2019?
Solar battery testing is still in its infancy and most products (like these solar power banks) available on the market are not able to properly assess the condition of an accumulator due to imprecise measurements. For your convenience, we’ve chosen only testers of the highest caliber that you can trust, so you’ll be able to test your solar light batteries, for example, with ease.
SOLAR BA7 100-1200 CCA Electronic Battery and System Tester
The BA7 Solar battery tester from Clore Automotive strikes the perfect balance between versatility, reliability, and cost, which is why we rank it first on our list. Although it does not offer extensive testing, it is more than sufficient to assess the condition of a solar battery with ease.
In addition, this solar conductance tester is compatible with multiple types of 12V accumulators rated between 100 and 1200 CCA, with an operating range of 7-15V. It works for conventional batteries, but also for AGM, Spiral Wound, Gel Cell, and Deep Cycle accumulators. When used, it can assess not only the condition of the battery itself, but also that of the starting and charging system for additional information.
Finally, the BA7 Solar battery tester comes with a 4-digit LED screen with 2 brightness settings and is very easy to use even if you have no prior experience with similar devices. The handheld tester guides you every step of the way and even offers pointers as to how you should interpret the results.
- An affordable, well-rounded solar battery tester
- Highly versatile; can test virtually any type of 12V battery, including conventional lead acid, Gel Cell, AGM, spiral wound, and deep cycle accumulators
- Provides information about the battery, as well as the starting and charging systems. Works with numbers and a Pass/Fail qualification
- User-friendly; requires no previous experience to be used
- The LED screen may be difficult to read outdoors, when the sun is very bright
SOLAR BA327 20-2000 CCA Electronic Battery and System Tester with Printer
The BA327 Solar battery tester is the solution provided by Clore Automotive for professional mechanics who test accumulators on a regular basis and also need/want to issue service documentation for each assessment. This product is significantly more expensive than other options presented here, but it is, by far, the most reliable as well.
This solar conductance tester can be used with 6V and 12V accumulators that are rated between 40 and 2000 CCA, with an operating range of 1.5-30V. Using this gadget, you can evaluate the condition of most types of batteries, from lead acid car batteries to spiral wound, AGM, Gel Cell, and deep cycle accumulators. The tester provides information for both charged and discharged batteries and can perform its evaluation quickly and accurately. The operator is prompted for any necessary details during testing and is guided through the entire process.
The built-in printer can be used to issue service documentation for each test, while its internal counter keeps track of all performed assessments in order to provide a unique warranty code. The extra-long cable leads are a convenient way to connect the device to any battery, while the backlit LED screen ensures good visibility in both dark and bright environments.
- Professional and versatile solar battery tester
- Can test most types of batteries, both 6V and 12V, as well as charged and discharged
- Extra-long cable leads and user-friendly LED display with backlight
- Built-in printer for service documentation and internal counter for unique warranty codes
- Significantly more expensive than other options
Schumacher BT-100 100A Battery Load Tester and Voltmeter
The Schumacher BT-100 is one of the best solar battery testers you can get for an affordable price. Although it features an analog, rather than digital display, once you become accustomed to its measurements, you learn to appreciate its reliability across numerous tests.
You can use this solar conductance tester to assess 6V and 12V accumulators rated up to 1000 CCA, which includes deep cycle and most other battery types. The device is an integrated tester and voltmeter, so it can offer accurate readings of the accumulator’s health, its load (100A for 12V or 50A for 6V), the starter motor draw, and the charging system. Overall, it offers a comprehensive picture of the entire battery system, which can come particularly in-handy with cars, RVs, boats, motorcycles, and any other vehicles with a conventional lead or electric battery.
Furthermore, the Schumacher BT-100 has a baked enamel, steel case and a durable build that can last through consistent wear and tear. The included heavy-duty, super-grip battery clamps are color-coded to help avoid any unwanted accidents, while the rocker switch mounted on top of the device makes it very easy to use.
- One of the most reliable and overall best solar battery testers for this price
- Can test both 6V and 12V batteries of up to 1000 CCA
- Will assess both the battery and the entire charging system
- Heavy-duty build, including a baked enamel, steel case and super-grip, color-coded battery clamps
- Does not feature a digital, LED display
Battery Tester FOXWELL BT705
The Foxwell BT705 is viewed by many reviewers as one of the best solar battery testers currently on the market. This is mainly because, unlike many other devices, it boasts a flawless reputation when it comes to the accuracy of its results. This battery tester takes our top pick for electric vehicles precisely because it can be relied upon to help, rather than hinder the assessment of your car.
The BT705 is an advanced solar conductance tester equipped with top quality copper clips and wire to maintain a stable connection to the battery throughout the assessment. In a matter of seconds, it can accurately determine how healthy the battery is, measure its actual CCA, as well as determine the reliability of the car’s starting battery. These results are displayed on a user-friendly LCD screen, together with information about the charging system, charging current, and rectifier diode.
The included 7.8ft of tester cable with heavy-duty alligator clips allows you to diagnose the car while sitting inside the vehicle, which can be particularly useful during cold winters. The device can be connected to a printer via Bluetooth so that you can print test results with ease. Meanwhile, the menu is highly intuitive and can guide you through the testing process, while the backlight on the LCD display ensures clear visibility in all environments.
- Currently the best solar battery testers for cars and electric vehicles
- Advanced solar conductance tester that delivers accurate results in a timely manner
- Can be connected to 12V and 24V batteries and solar power systems
- User-friendly display with backlight for clear visibility
- Slightly more expensive than other options
SUNER POWER Digital 12V Car Battery Tester
The solar conductance tester by Suner Power is more affordable than all other gadgets mentioned here, but it still comes with enough features to keep it in this top 5. Its compatibility ranges across most types of battery, including flood, AGM, gel cell, and deep cycle accumulators rated between 5 and 9555 CCA, with an operating range of 7-15V.
Suner Power’s solar battery tester accurately measures parameters that can offer a complete picture of the battery’s condition. Included in its appraisal are the battery load system, the actual CCA, its life percentage, as well as its voltage and its resistance to unexpected shutdowns. The device’s large LED screen is easy to read and intuitive to operate. In addition, it includes a grading system that can help you interpret results without any previous experience with similar devices.
Several features of this solar battery tester are designed to ensure that the device is perfectly safe to use. The heavy-duty clips, the reminder alarm, but also the its reverse polarity and over voltage protection make it so that the tester can endure frequent use without causing any damage to your batteries.
- A more affordable solar conductance tester with plenty of useful features
- Compatible with most types of batteries rated between 5 and 9555 CCA, charged or discharged
- Large and intuitive LED display that includes several grids to help you interpret results
- Safety features include heavy-duty clips, a reminder alarm, and protection against reverse polarity and over voltage
- Readings are not as reliable as with other testers described here