According to the United States Flag Code, it is customary to display the US flag only from sunrise to sunset unless you have a flag pole light. It is possible to display the flag during overnight as well (for a total of 24 hours a day), but if you desire to do so, you must provide proper illumination for it.
A solar flag pole light is a sustainable and cost-effective way to ensure the correct lighting of the flag and to affirm your respect for the values it represents. To find out more, keep reading for our comprehensive list of the best solar flagpole lights currently available on the market.
ALPHA 180X Flag Pole Light
DENEVE Deluxe Solar Flag Pole Light
VONT Solar Flag Pole Light
- 1 Solar Flag Pole Light Reviews: The Best of 2020
- 2 How Does a Solar Flag Pole Light Work?
- 3 How to Properly Assess a Solar Flag Pole Light?
- 4 How to Choose the Best Solar Flagpole Light for Your Flag
Solar Flag Pole Light Reviews: The Best of 2020
Over the past decade, solar lighting has improved tremendously in the way of environmental-friendliness, and in terms of comfort and convenience. Today, solar lights (including solar flood lights) are more affordable than ever before, and as easier to install and maintain. The same holds true for the best solar flagpole lights on the market.
To help you make an optimal purchase for your specific needs, here are our top picks based on brightness, utility, and price.
1. ALPHA 180X Flag Pole Light
This model by Alpha has made its way into most solar flagpole light reviews and climbs to the top of our list due to its versatility and excellent quality-to-cost ratio. It’s not the brightest light available for purchase, but it can be positioned at variable distances from the flag to ensure proper illumination regardless of the weather.
The unit comes with 35 incorporated warm white LED lights for a total output of 60 to 230 lumens. The brightness can be adjusted using three different settings, which can help you increase its lifespan and maintain suitable illumination even during cloudy or winter days. Unlike the conventional bright white LED, the warm white hue of this solar powered flagpole light creates a softer, more pleasant effect.
The frames, mounting brackets, and installation gear for this flag pole light by Alpha are made of cast iron and stainless steel, respectively. The unit is durable and built to withstand extreme heat, rain, wind, or snow.
The light can be mounted anywhere on the flagpole to allow for downlighting or uplighting, according to your preference. Unlike most other flagpole lights, the position and orientation of this model can be adjusted, which means that your flag will be fully visible even during windy weather. The solar panel is not attached to the light itself, which means that you can install them remotely to ensure maximal sunlight exposure.
- Mobile and versatile: can be placed anywhere on the flagpole and adjusted for downlighting or uplighting
- LED beam at a white angle for optimal illumination of the flag
- Comes with 35 warm white LED lights for a total output of 230 lumens (on high)
- Slightly more expensive than other options
- Although it is bright enough to properly illuminate most flags, it is not the brightest option on the market
2. DENEVE Deluxe Solar Flag Pole Light
As most solar flagpole light reviews will tell you, this unit by Deneve is the brightest available for purchase and five times brighter than similar fixtures. Featuring 20 LED lights for an impressive total output of 1300 lumens, it is certainly one of the best solar flagpole lights out there in 2020.
The flag pole light is easy to install and requires no additional installation equipment. All you have to do to get started is lower the pole, unscrew the ball shaft at the top, introduce the light at the correct angle, and re-insert the ball shaft on top of it. Turn on the “on” button for your first use and redeploy the flagpole.
Once it’s been turned on, the unit will automatically detect sunlight and begin to charge during the day. During the night, it will power itself up and provide continuous solar flag lighting for up to 18 hours (on a full charge).
The AA rechargeable batteries can be replaced if damaged, which means that you do not have to buy a new light every time one of the batteries wears out. Although the unit will not light the entire flag (because it invariably points downwards), the LEDs have a broad beam that covers 20% more than other options.
- With a total output of 1300 lumens, this is one of the brightest solar flag pole lights on the market
- The rechargeable batteries are large enough to ensure continuous lighting for up to 18 hours on a full charge
- Easy to install at the top of most flag poles
- More expensive than other options
- Points downwards and cannot be adjusted once installed
3. SUNNYTECH 3rd Generation Solar Power Flag Pole Light
Sunnytech’s solar powered flagpole light is one of the best solar flagpole lights currently on the market for a more affordable price. It rivals products by Deneve in terms of brightness, with a similar total output of 1300 lumens and 20 powerful LED lights.
The unit has been perfected by Sunnytech over the previous decade and, as part of the 3rd generation of solar flag lights designed by this manufacturer, it features several noteworthy upgrades. To begin with, its battery and solar panels were improved for additional conversion efficiency, while the saucer shape was enlarged for a more impressive look and better light coverage of the flag.
When fully charged, the battery stores 4500mAh, which makes it possible for the light to stay on for up to 18 hours and certainly for the duration of one night. The six solar panels mounted on top of the flagpole light are not only elegant, but also larger and more efficient in order to ensure that the battery is fully charged throughout the day.
Finally, the unit by Sunnytech is easy to install, provided that your flagpole is built with matching measurements, and requires no additional maintenance upon installation. The light automatically turns on at dusk and turns off at the first hint of dawn’s early light, while the battery is automatically recharged throughout the day.
- Very bright light featuring 20 LED lights for a total output of 1300 lumens
- A decent-sized battery that can power the light for up to 18 hours when fully charged
- Some customers claim that the plastic design of the unit is somewhat flimsy
- Invariably pointed downwards so its angle cannot be adjusted
4. SOLVAO Solar Spotlight (Upgraded)
You won’t find this unit by Solvao in most solar flagpole light reviews, but it’s actually one of the most versatile models on our list. Unlike other options, this solar spotlight can be installed in the ground underneath your flag pole and its angle can be adjusted for perfect illumination of the flag.
The spotlight by Solvao comes with 4 LED lights for a total output of 200 lumens, which is not as bright as some of the other solar flagpole lights on the market, but still bright enough to illuminate a flag at an average height. In addition, you can install the spotlight both in the ground and on the flag pole (necessary installation hardware is provided), depending on how high the flag actually is. In both cases, you can adjust the angle of the light and that of the solar panel for optimal lighting and maximal sunlight exposure.
The brightness of the spotlight can be set to high or low, which can help you extend its lifespan in the long run. The solar panel is larger than most, and is coated for protection against extreme heat, rain, snow, and the accumulation of dirt.
The model is equipped with a rechargeable lithium battery that can store up to 2200mAh and will keep the LED lights on for up to 10 hours on a full charge. Finally, the on-off sensor will detect darkness and sunlight in order to turn the lights on and off at the appropriate times of the day.
- Versatile, 2-in-1 installation: can be staked in the ground or mounted on the flag pole
- Comes with 4 LED lights for a total output of 200 lumens
- The broad beam of light can be pointed both upwards and downwards and the angle can be adjusted for optimal illumination of the flag during all weather
- Not the brightest option available
- Might not stay on for the entire duration of the night if it doesn’t receive enough sunlight during the day
5. VONT Solar Flag Pole Light
Vont’s affordable model comes with many of the features of the best solar flagpole lights, but at a much lower price. Certainly, this isn’t the brightest light currently available for purchase, but if you want to spend less for similar results, it’s the perfect pick.
This solar flag pole light features 26 LED lights that can emit up to 200 lumens in total. It is easily installed at the top of the flag pole facing downwards. Its angle cannot be adjusted during windy weather, but the frame is fairly large and the beam is therefore wide enough to illuminate most of the flag.
The battery can store enough energy to keep the solar flag light running throughout the night, while the entire unit is built for extended exposure to outdoor elements such as rain or snow. The light is operated automatically, which means that it will turn on as the solar panels detect the absence of daylight and turn off at dawn.
The 6 small, incorporated solar panels are effective enough to recharge the battery during the day so as to ensure lighting throughout the night. All you have to do is pop the unit in the right socket at the top of your flag pole and raise the flag.
- Very affordable compared to other options
- Comes with 26 LED lights for a total output of 200 lumens
- Easily installed at the top of most flag poles, using no additional installation tools
- Not as bright as other options
- Angle cannot be adjusted as the light invariably points downwards